The last time we spoke about ‘How To’s’ it was regarding pinstripe suits. Today, I’m going to give a little help on double breasted suits.
There are a few things you should know before we breakdown styling these suits. First, you need to either be properly measured or know your suit size; shoulder, chest, waist, and inseam. Second, are you looking for a tailored suit or an ‘off the rack’ suit? If you go to tailor, you will be properly measure and a suit will be created to fit only you! If you are investing in a ready to wear suit, what is your budget? High end brands such as Armani, Givency, Prada, and Dior are great. If you are on a budget, I would suggest Tommy Hilfiger, Topman, Zara, and H&M. A nice bridge price would be Brooks Brothers and JCrew.
Now let’s talk styling:
1) If you’re going to wear a tie then keep your jacket buttoned unless you are sitting down.
2) Don’t always feel the need to wear a traditional button up and/or tie. Pair the jacket and/or pants, separately, with a sweater or t-shirt.
3) Use your jacket with a more casual trouser for a more relaxed look.
4) The double breasted suit is a statement piece all by itself. Don’t over accessorize! Your tie, pocket square, and socks should all elevate the suit but not overshadow the look.
5) Don’t be afraid to be the non-traditionalist. Show off your sporty side. Ditch the dress shoes and pull out your sneakers.
Remember, fashion is what you buy but style is what you make it. Hey… If you have any questions, hit me up!